Although the Department of Art History was not established until 1961, the Museum had collected and preserved art objects since its foundation in 1952. The outstanding collection of paintings by Nadežda Petrović was so appealing that in 1961 it initiated the establishment of an independent institution – Gallery of Nadežda Petrović, which later took over the entire modern art collection from the National Museum Čačak.
The first Art Historian in the Museum, Milovan Vulović, joined the Museum in 1961. Only a year later he was appointed Museum Director, since when he conducted the Museum for 34 years, until his retirement in 1996. Dušanka Ranković Vučićević greatly contributed to the research of Church Art in the Čačak region. She started her career in the Museum in 1964, where she worked until her death in 1977. Angelina Folgić Korjak worked in the Museum from 1978 to 1984, and her field of interest was the art of XIX century.
Delfina Rajić joined the Museum in 1985, and her main area of interest has been Church Art in the Čačak region. In 2005, Delfina was appointed Director of National Museum Čačak.